Thursday, April 28, 2011

Facebook Effects Grades

I definitely agree with this article that discusses how Facebook effects students' grades. Although Facebook is a great social network that can help students interact, it can also be extremely distracting. When I'm writing a paper and I get bored or lose my train of thought, I open up Facebook and distract myself from getting the assignment done. The night before my term paper was due, almost everyone in my class was on Facebook making statuses about the paper and joking about how they were so distracted. I found it really interesting to read that, "Students who use Facebook and hit the books simultaneously found their multitasking led to 20% lower grades than those of their more focused peers." I am guilty of being distracted by Facebook when trying to do school work, but hopefully I can break the habit when I go off to college.

2 comments:

  1. Stacey- I am wondering if you think that allowing students more access to technology as we will next year will help them get over the distraction of Facebook and other social tools. Is there a limit to how much time someone can spend on-line? At some point doesn't it become old?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think next year the students will struggle at first to resist the temptaion of always being online. It definitely does get old but in comparison to writing a paper or doing class work, Facebook is more entertaining and that's where the problem occurs. I do think its good that the students will have the opportunity to break the habit in high school and go into college knowing they have learned to over come the temptation of distractions.

    ReplyDelete