Thursday, February 3, 2011

Facebook Strengthens Student-Teacher Connection

This article discusses the ten ways that facebook can help students and teachers. . The point that stuck out in my reading was that students can quickly have access to ask their teachers questions. Sometimes when I'm doing an assignment and I need help, I have to email my teacher and usually do not get a responce until the next day. Being able to just Facebook IM a teacher and get a responce in seconds would be so helpful to me. Facebook can also be used to help absent students keep up and participate even though they're at home. Teachers can send students assignments so that they're not smothered with work when they return to school. Some of my teachers have made pages only for certain classes; my media production class had a BHS Media group that we could share videos and comments on. I think students lose sight of the fact that Facebook is more than just a social network between peers to talk and post pictures and videos. Facebook is a very effective website to help people stay updated or spread news very quickly. Whenever we do a fundraiser for student council, I use Facebook as my way of spreading the word because almost everyone in the school has their own page. Facebook has become an extremely helpful tool for people of all ages.

1 comment:

  1. Stacey,

    I am glad that you are finding constructive uses for Facebook. I also heard of some students setting up study group pages on Facebook. Hopefully, you and your classmates will also find other social media and web 2.0 resources that are useful.

    ReplyDelete