Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Banning Cell Phones From Schools

The Massachusetts State House should definitely reconsider their thoughts on banning cell phones from schools. Cell phones can absolutely be a distraction to students and teachers if the phones are being used during class. However, teachers can easily take control and make sure their students are not using their phones. My english teacher has a wall with about 25 pockets on it that we put our phones in at the beginning of class. This way, no one is tempted to check their phones from their purse or pocket and the phones are not a distraction. Attending a school that allows cell phones has made me realize how important they are to have with you. People tend to make the excuse that if there's an emergency, students can always be reached if someone calls the school's phone. I had a personal experience when my mom needed to talk to me so she texted me and I went to the bathroom and called her. She told me my grandfather was dying and I needed to leave school and go to the hospital to say goodbye. If I didn't have my phone with me, my mom could have called the school, but I would have rather heard something like that directly from my mom and not the secretary. To be honest, I don't even think my mom has the school's phone number anyways. I think having cell phones in school is not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. For the past couple of years, we've been allowed to have our phones and there haven't been huge problems. The Massachusetts State House should absolutely take these points into consideration before they ban cell phones from schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment