Monday, May 9, 2011

What I Believe About Learning

People have a natural tendency to distract themselves from things they need to do so I think teachers should find a way to eliminate all distractions in the classroom. Teachers should make students put their cell phones and ipods somewhere else before class starts so they are not tempted by them. I think technology can play a great role in learning because it's a quick and easy way to find what you need. When I do reading for English class, if I don't know what a word means I just pick up my ipod touch and use my dictionary app. Within seconds I have a whole new understanding of what I'm reading as opposed to taking the time to look it up in a dictionary. I also think teachers should not give homework every night. A common argument for this is that college professors give work every night, but the difference is that in college you don't have that class every day. With sports, clubs, work, and many other responsibilities after school, students have to stay up very late at night to complete their homework. This is probably the main reason why kids are always so tired and can't even pay attention or stay awake in class. In one of my classes we have homework maybe once a month, yet I've learned so much. Learning is definitely evolving and will be very different here at BHS for the years to come.

1 comment:

  1. Great article, Stacey!!!! My classes use the IPods constantly for word translations, etc.

    ReplyDelete